I can’t believe 2018 is almost over! Like seriously, where did the year go? This year has been filled with highs, lows and everything in between, anyone else? This blog post is dedicated to some really good habits I picked up this year and some toxic ones that were getting in the way of accomplishing my goals.
Below is a list of 9 Things I Learned in 2018:
- This year the best thing I learned is persistence is key, especially in the gym! When it comes to exercise, I have always enjoyed running and consider myself an active runner but would neglect the gym. Over the summer, I started going to the gym more periodically and eventually started making time for the gym at least two to four times a week. I realize people say making excuses to not go to the gym is easy, but with my busy schedule it can be hard. I am on month six of going to the gym on a regular basis and I have started seeing great results in my body, it makes me want to go more and more… next year I am going to focus on dedicating certain days to the gym (like leg day, etc.) because right now I just do whatever feels comfortable (oops). I am looking forward to continuing my fitness journey in 2019 and plan to have a more regulated schedule.
- Another thing I learned this year is that staying silent is a form of response. We live in such a tumultuous time where so many things seem unclear and I truly believe that staying quiet at a time like today’s is not okay, if you see something, you say something. Our voice matters now more than ever.
- With that said, I also learned the importance of developing the power of listening. Listening to people and hearing their point of view is vital to keeping a relationship strong, you may not always agree but you can definitely try and understand.
- I’m not going to lie there have been many times where I get home from a long day/night and I get home so exhausted that I run straight to my bed and pass out. As gross as it would make me feel, I would not care (yuck!) but I realized I feel way better about myself when I make time to wash my face at night, take a shower, etc., no matter how late it might be. It also makes my face look and feel better the next day! Self care y’all, self care.
- With the busy schedule that I have, I have really relied on my calendar. There are many days where I go from working my 9-5, to trying a new menu downtown, to a benefit dinner in a different part of town. This year more than ever I stuck to my calendar to help me plan my days and to be honest I do not where I would’ve been without my planner. Planning has made my life so much easier and I highly recommend getting a planner for yourself.
- TAKE THE LEAP – this year I took the leap to change the content on my page, invested in my blog and started producing more lifestyle-content like I’ve always wanted to! I am learning each and everyday and I am still working out some kinks, but so far so good because if not now, then when? Taking the leap involved upgrading my Word Press to a Business Plan, because it really helps give the professional feeling that I want. Now that my blog has been upgraded, my new goal is to produce more and more content for you guys, from Where to Eat in East Austin to A Weekend in My Life to hopefully some staycations in 2019. I plan to continue showcasing all of the yummy eats around town but I will be incorporating more of myself into a lot of my content to make it more fun for you all and to show what I was wearing that day! Stay tuned! 😉
- Juggling multiples things at one time can make you feel really tired and frustrated, I started to relax a bit more in 2018 and take a moment to myself when necessary. My 7th tip is: don’t burn out, take a break. It’s okay to need to step back for a bit, it’s okay to enjoy your dinner and not document every second, it’s okay to say no and stay-in and have a Netflix-party-for-one, relax for a bit, sit this one out and come back when you’re ready.
- In case some of y’all didn’t know, I got my B.S. in Fashion Merchandising. What people wear, style trends, who is wearing what, where to buy that cool wallet, are all things that have caught my attention for as long as I could remember. In the past few months, I started showcasing more of my looks online and I am really happy I did. I was nervous to show my style online because I was afraid of looking weird but as I started creating more fashion posts on my Instagram I stopped caring because I like how I dress and I like my looks and it seems you guys do too. Yay!
- Lastly, this year I learned how much I genuinely love producing content for you guys. There is nothing more I love than finding a new hot spot in town, trying a new menu or finding new businesses opening up and putting together clips and moments for you all to see online. Being an influencer and/or a blogger is hard because you need to have the willingness to always be on your phone capturing moments for people to see, and it can take you away from reality. People ask me all the time how and why I spend so much time documenting the moments in my life or putting everything on camera, “Why are you always on your phone?” people ask me, and I have to remind people all the time that although I get to do a lot of fun, unique things around town I get me so much joy sharing my life with all of you. It just comes naturally!
Thank you guys so much for being here and for allowing me into your lives. You guys are the reason I do what I do. I want people to think of Austin as a great place to live, a fun place to be, a place where you can be your true self, without stigma, without prejudice, where the food is good and the people are even better. I really do like brining you guys along for the ride, yes sometimes I live my life through a lens but I love it and I’m so happy you’re here!
I wish nothing but peace, joy and love in the new year for all of you.
2019 is going to be a really good year, I can feel it!